Sunday, July 04, 2010

Openair St.Gallen: 30 Seconds To Mars

We got 3 songs with no flash, and were allowed to shoot from anywhere but the pit. We rolled our eyes - at least no contract to sign, eh? I figured that at least it wasn't as ridiculous as with a well known female singer with changing color of hair whose request it was that photographers shoot from FOH, and only with wide angle lenses (we stayed home that night...), and so I decided I'd shoot from the audience.

Jared Leto of 30 Seconds To Mars during their live concert at Openair St.Gallen

My pal Gerry had a lens the size of an um-brella-ella-stand and shot from the roof of one of the VIP tents. I didn't, but the people in the audience were very friendly, some guys even offered to lift me up or to be my tripod. The atmosphere of the whole festival - totally peaceful :-)

Jared Leto interacts with fans during 30 Secons To Mars's concert in St.Gallen, Switzerland

I ran into Mr. Leto that night when he was walking back to his bus. He explained to me that he consciously made the anywhere-but-the-pit request because the pictures from the there "are like the biggest rock 'n' roll cliché", and that he wanted the photographers to go out and find new perspectives.

Jared Leto performing with 30 Seconds To Mars at Openair St.Gallen

Thinking of it, I wish more artists would allow us to do so. Thanks, Jared!

No comments: