Friday, July 10, 2009

Sepultura

Brazilian metal band Sepultura live in concert

There are a couple of things on my wish list, photography-wise. As you can imagine, there are a ton of lenses, a camera or two, and some very expensive things that are essentially funny-shaped plastic that make a photo geek's heart beat faster.

Sepultura perform at (severly under-lit) Salzhaus in Winterthur, Switzerland

But there are also some not-so-photography-related things that I wish I had. Yesterday night, I extended that list by yet another item: Headlamps for photographers. You know, we're not allowed to use a flash.

Sepultura playing a live concert

Usually, I'm happy that's the case, because flashing would definitely destroy the atmosphere of the show. They hire people to design the stage lights for a reason, and I enjoy all the colored light and shadow on people's faces.

Sepultura and a sold-out crowd of metalheads at Salzhaus in Winterthur

That's exactly the point: I want light on their faces. While I definitely dig the spaceship lights in the back of the stage at Salzhaus (they give the tiny stage a lot of depth), I wish they were a little more to the side. Or someone would donate some money so they could install some spots.

Sepultura playing live

It's a *very* cool place, don't get me wrong! I'd go there any time, the people are totally nice, the sound is good, they got great acts, nice decoration, wild crowd, everything. But I always go to listen to the shows, not to watch.

Sepultura in Winterthur, Switzerland

Because frankly, you don't see a lot (except for the spaceships). Especially if your lead singer is of color and has black dreads. And you can see all his emotion in his face and eyes - if you get to be as close as the photogs in the pit. It would make wonderful photos if I had a headlamp. Or maybe I'll bring a flashlight (no on-camera flash, right?). Or put a pocket wizard to my camera and have someone in the audience hold the strobe.

Sepultura's concert in Switzerland

Bands: Bring your own spot lights! We want to see you!

all pics in this post are © lautundspitz.ch, who organized the pass for me.

1 comment:

Victor said...

I told you their lighting is gonna suck. It was the same here, as you can tell from my crappy Sepultura photos.

Gotta love NEF images though, you can tweak them heavily until you get something like a decent picture. :)