Thursday, June 25, 2009

Anthrax

"BRUTAL!" - that was the comment one of my friends made when I told him I'd been to a DevilDriver / Anthrax show.

Rob Caggiano of metal band Anthrax plays live at Schüür in Lucerne, Switzerland

Indeed, from outside the venue it sounded as if the roof was going to be blown off. Inside, there was a pretty big crowd of heabangers busy jumping, screaming, moshing, and circle-pitting, so I guess the only difference it would have made if the roof had been blown off would have been that it wouldn't have been as hot!

Singer Dan Nelson of Anthrax live on stage in Lucerne, Switzerland

Different from their normal setting, there was a tiny photographer's pit in front of the stage (ok, I suppose it was more a rail so the headbangers in 1st row wouln't knock their faces onto the stage), so we got in pretty close - much closer than you usually get at Schüür anyway.

That's good on one side, because the tall blond headbangers with afros don't get in the way (and there's always a tall blong headbanger with an afro next to the zealous fan that films the entire show and ruins your photos with their shiny camera display when there's no pit for the photogs, I swear!). What's not so good is that you might be surprised by the setting and find yourself with a lens that's too long.

Anthrax

As usual, I had brought my Nikon D3 with the 70-200 VR (and I could have taken a picture of the lead singer's nose hair with it, but I managed to fight the urge), and the old Canon 20D with the 24-70mm L-lens. I love the lens, but the camera is definitely the weakest link. I heard other people complain about it, so I guess it's not just my camera: Canon's autofocus should be called "outoffocus" :-/.

Guitarists Rob Caggiano and Scott Ian of Anthrax playing live

Thankfully, they lit up the stage enough so that we had ample playground to take cool pics, so it worked out fine :-) Full gallery is here.

No comments: