Thursday, September 16, 2010

Turned 3!!!

Der Graf of Unheilig at Greenfield Festival in Interlaken

Elton John performing at a concert at Hallenstadion in Zurich, Switzerland

Yes, it's that time of the year again. It's time for the annual "yet another year of lonesome tiger" picture loaded post. So buckle up, and assume some sort of bracing position, because for the rest of this post, I'm just gonna write about me, me, and, well, me.

Killswitch Engage showing off their muscles at Greenfield Festival

Skin of Skunk Anansie sings during the band's concert at X-Tra Club

The last 365 days started with a boatload of shows that I covered for 20 Minuten Online. I became a regular visitor to the major venues in town shooting my "3 songs only". You know you hang around there too much when the dudes from the photo agencies start greeting you with "you again!".

James Hetfield of metal veterans Metallica performs at Sonisphere festival Switzerland

Singer Pink during her show at Hallenstadion Zurich

I got to shoot Elton John and P!nk, and Europe and Nena, and the Cranberries and 30 Seconds To Mars. And a bunch more.

Alice In Chains live in concert at Sonisphere Festival Switzerland

Danko Jones playing a concert at Greenfield Festival

Following the freezing time came the time of festivals: I covered Greenfield, Sonisphere, and OpenAir St.Gallen. At least the latter was sunny....

Joey Belladonna of Anthrax at Switzerland's Sonishpere Festival

And shooting so many bands gave me a great excuse to buy some new camera gear: New to the family (since back then) is my beloved Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 :) . These last days, Nikon's been announcing new stuff like crazy, but I'm still trying to save my money for when they announce the D4. Ok, enough of the camera geekness.

Sonisphere Festival Switzerland - and that was *before* the fans were allowed in...

Another year, another milestone. My first year was all "trying to figure out how to get photo passes, scrape togethere the courage to actually ask for them, and shoot shows more or less regularly". That, and getting a decent camera (upgrade from Canon 20D to Nikon D3 *grin*).

La Brass Banda live at Openair St.Gallen

Juliette Lewis in concert at Greenfield Festival in Interlaken, Switzerland

The second year I dedicated to becoming really good at what I'm doing. Kinda easy if you got a D3, but still a lot of work. Seems I didn't do too bad; right at the end of year 2 I got my deal with 20 Minuten Online.

Jared Leto of 30 Seconds To Mars interacts with fans during the band's live performance at Openair St.Gallen



Year number 3 brought me tons of shows in big places, awesome light, a lot of exposure on 20 Minuten Online, and a couple of pics in the newspaper (Switzerland's biggest - yay, $s!). I got to cover said festivals, which was like a huge training camp for me (loved it!!).

Ian Astbury of cult band The Cult sings live in Zurich, Switzerland

Live concert of Coheed and Cambria at Greenfield Festival, Interlaken

And, as usual, the question remains what I'll be writing about in 365 days from now. All I can say now: Working on it, and determined to continue kicking serious a**!!!

The Cult play a live concert

Derrick Green of brazilian metal band Sepultura during the band's live concert at Greenfield Festival

Robb Flynn of rock band Machine Head during a live concert in Zurich, Switzerland

Jared Leto and his band, 30 Seconds To Mars, at Volkshaus Zurich

No comments: